A student visa is an endorsement by the immigration authorities on your passport. It indicates that you are allowed to enter the country and stay to study for a specified period of time.
You can generally begin your student visa application once you receive confirmation of your enrolment in your chosen school or university. It’s best to apply as early as possible, regardless of when your program is due to start, as visa processing times can vary.
There are several steps to apply for a student visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary according to where you are planning to study.
The processes and requirements that international students must meet to be eligible for a student visa differ from country-to-country.
Most students will require evidence of:
- Proof of enrolment in a recognized educational institution
- Proof of your capacity to cover the cost of air fares, course tuition fees and living costs for the duration of your stay.
- A passport valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay.
- You may also be required to show evidence of your English language proficiency and undertake health examinations and/or police checks.
- Your Studyin-AUS counsellor can provide you information about what documents you will need to provide.